Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Another Burger

So gourmet burgers seem to be the newest food trend to hit the mainstream in Kansas city. I for a long time resisted becoming a follower of this new burger obsessed city, but after my mothers day brunch at Blue Stem I have been converted. Brunch on Sunday at a fine place like this always has a special menu, sprinkled with wonderfully prepared twists of typical brunch fare: Eggs Benedict, french toast, biscuits and gravy yada yada yada. Arriving STARVED and a bit hungover, wanting something salty that would probably leave me feeling guilty later, I was torn between the fried chicken livers and the kobe beef burger. I chose the burger with pleasure! It came out on a yummy egg bun, medium as ordered, topped with plenty of melted swiss, bacon and an over easy egg! On the side were pommes frites(fancy name for french fry), but these french fries deserved the special name. They were fried golden, practically greaseless and seasoned mimimally, to enhance the flavor of the potato(i think they used yukons). A side of sweet homeade ketchup completed the masterpiece that would be my brunch. Everything was wonderfull. The meat in the burger was rich and perfectly seasoned. I had a few bites whole, and then kind of deconstructed the thing(it was massive, at least 1/3 lb), and picked at it. Wonderfull is how I would describe what I had! To drink I had coffee(roasterie), water(sans ice, how i like it and also how they serve it!) and a bellini(peach nectar with a wonderful proseco in a champagne flute). I feel a leisurly brunch requires at least three different kinds of beverages, ya know, to really evoke that sort of luxury allowed by brunch.
The service was perfect, the music(ratatat) pleasant and the atmosphere comfortable and inviting. I do believe Blue Stem is truly wonderful. And burgers are definitly my newest obsession so be on the lookout for more burger posts from me!

2 comments:

  1. i hear that on leisurely brunches requiring multiple beverages. loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ink took a poll of KC resisdents and Westport Flea Market was rated one of the best Burgers in town you might try that bast next time your interested in a good burger.

    ReplyDelete