Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My First Blog

So what better way to start off my new blog then with a quick review of a newish restaurant located in Lawrence, Kansas, Dempseys Irish Pub. What brought me here was not the promise of whiskey or Guiness, but the gourmet burger stand that I heard was located inside. The small menu consisted of six or seven burgers, four kinds of fries, a salad or two(to cover the bases I presume) and some shakes for desert.
Although I am a proud meat eater, I choose the falafel sandwhich(I am also a proud Jew with many proud opinions on falafel). The large crisp patty arrived on a plainish egg bun with a deliscious tzadiki sauce, pickled cauliflower and pickled red onion. On the side I choose sweet potato fries. The were cooked perfectly and seasoned with a sprinkling of sugar and spices I could not quite identify. Needless to say they were moist and needed not to be dipped in any sauce. One of my dining companions ordered the kobe burger(fabulous) and the other had the Romesco burger(green beans on the burger adding a nice textural contrast and interesting flavor pair). To drink I had a Bohemia, but the options ranged from Odells, Pilsner Urquell, to Boulevards.
All in all the experience was a success. Next time I plan to order the Black and Blue: blackened spices, bleu cheese and granny smith apple chutney, and fries cooked in duck fat on the side.
The atmosphere is comforting, rustic and simple. The music enjoyable. The service left nothing to be desired. I think anyone could dine here and leave satisfied and impressed.

2 comments:

  1. wow, way to pop your blogging cherry! was it one falafel patty? like a falafel burger? new concept....ahhh, new taste!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. falafel shaped into a large patty. in place of a veggie or garden burger.
    new taste....ahhhhh!

    ReplyDelete