Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Gold


The easiest way to combine and serve fruit without too much work or time is to merely chop, combine and stir it into a simple fruit salad. The other day I had one mango left from my Costco box of eight, a bunch of crisp green grapes and a solitaire large red plum. I halved the grapes and tossed them together with the chopped plum and mango for a colorful light summer salad of fruit. Since everything looked a little naked I decided to whip up the leftover cream from last weeks milk. At the soft peak stage I added some vanilla extract and a wee bit of honey. Oooheeee. Folded over the fruit it was turned into a divine and sophisticated version of the Furrs cafeteria fruit salads I used to eat when dining with my grandparents back in the 80's.

2 comments:

  1. when you sent it to me, the picture immediately reminded me of the fruit salad that grandma twilla used to make. nice pink bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice.
    One of most cherished family food memories is the time my Mom took me to my first " all you can eat " restaurant- in the basement at Rockefeller Center- a place named : The Good Old Days.
    They served a Waldorf Salad- dressd with whipped cream and containing raisins, walnuts and grapes, as well as the chopped apples, banana, etc...My Mom and me, in NYC, my first all you can eat buffet restaurant....
    as your blog says at the top- food is love.

    ReplyDelete