Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pizza Bella


Since I've now visited Pizza Bella three times and have been equally if not more satisfied each time, I feel that it deserves a mention here at food is love. Really there is not much to say other than FABULOUS.
The pizzas served here are roughly twelve inches each, served on a large ceramic plate and sliced into four large pieces. Of course one pizza is more than a meal, but after having not eaten all day and sweating away to Zumba at the gym, a girl like me can with no doubt eat one entire "pie" if you will, along with a cold beer and be completely satisfied.
What makes Pizza Bella so great isn't one thing alone. The dough is delicious, thin as wax paper but strong enough to bear the weight, moisture and grease of a melange of toppings. The crust is airy and crisp with just the right amount of chew.
The pizza that interested me the most on my first visit was what they call simply Potato. On arrival and at first glance the pizza looks like it is being served a la mode, because post-bake a scoop of shredded radicchio tossed in balsamic vinegar is placed in the center of the pie, adding volume and a beautiful contrast of color. Beneath the radicchio slaw, covering the pizza is a sheet of sliced Yukon potatoes, Gorgonzola cheese and olive oil.
Upon biting into the pizza, you first get the softness of the potato on your teeth, followed by the heavy salt and strength of the buttery Gorgonzola. The crispy radicchio and the sweet balsamic vinegar provide the perfect contrast to the heavy flavors and textures brought by the potatoes and cheese. This is a pizza for serious food lovers. The flavors are strong and they are not for the weak of taste bud. I think Pizza Hut would call this one the Scalloped Potato Pizza.
To drink I chose the Brazilian beer Xingu, suggested by the friendly and informative server. Xingu is a black beer, a lager made from black-roasted malts, which color the beer black during the brewing. Cold, sweet and light to perfectly complement my pizza.
I am definitly going back here again. There are at least ten pizza's on the menu, with toppings that include egg, pancetta, chorizo, pesto...the list goes on. In addtion to pizzas there is always an entree special as well a few appetizers, salads and desserts.
Please go eat here now and share the pizza love!

2 comments:

  1. I like pizza bella too- nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a Stuffed Crust Scalloped Potato Pizza from Pizza Hut sounds great! I'd get some extra meatballs on it for more protein. I'm heading to the Pizza Hut at Corinth Square in 15 if you want to meet me there!

    ReplyDelete