Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Blueberry Jam Sandwhich Cookies


I subscribe to Bon Appetit magazine. My favorite thing about monthly cooking magazines is that they follow the season and the produce found within the confines of the magazines pages can also be found at the store or farmers market. I often look at what is in my fridge and freezer and then turn to Bon Appetit for inspiration.
The June issue contained an all-berry desert feature because June is the height of berry season. I am a proud year-round blueberry consumer (frozen) because of their deliciousness and the health benefits (anti-oxidants, potassium, vitamin c, fiber...more or less they are a superfood). My heart was won over by the Blueberry Jam Sandwhich Cookie recipe because a. I love blueberries and b. I had a three pound bag of them in my freezer (frozen are just as good as fresh in this case).

The cookie contains lemon zest and is a basic chill and roll sugar cookie. The filling is a simple homeade blueberry jam (no canning involved since you will be using it immedietly) and a sprinkling of raw sugar on the top of the sandwhich is the final touch. Not having this on hand I just grabbed a few packets from the coffee station in my local grocery store;)

Everything was perfect. The cookies were buttery and soft with a hint of lemon to complement the sweet blueberry jam. And my awarness of the trace-nutrients contained within each sweet bite comforted me through every chew and swallow.

2 comments:

  1. I like your comment regarding your swiping of raw sugar.
    The cookies were good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look freakin' delicious, my friend.

    ReplyDelete